Marigolds + whiteflies

I have marigolds throughout my garden, including the raised vegetable beds. I've noticed an amazing number of what I assume are whiteflies flying off the marigold plants when I go to deadhead them, most especially since the rains. I thought marigolds deter whiteflies, but wonder if the August hot weather just gave me an amazing crop of the flies this year?

Benton County Oregon

You might be right about the August heat. As plants become more stressed they have less resistance to invading insects. I have attached a couple of links for you if you are interested in determining which type of whitefly you may have. There are control measures included in the links. A basic management protocol is shown below:

"Keep plants healthy and watered according to their needs. Whitefly populations increase with high nitrogen levels: do not over-fertilize plants. Wash plants with a gentle stream of water directed to the underside of plants, or disturb foliage and vacuum adults. Prune back and encourage host plant refoliation. A combination of disturbing the foliage, vacuuming flying adults and using sticky yellow cards attractive to whiteflies provides some measure of control, but stay vigilant."

https://pnwhandbooks.org/insect/hort/landscape/common/landscape-whitefly