Lawn

I am new to the area and want to aerate and reseed a lawn. What is the lastest that I should do this? We live in Annapolis, Maryland, Heritage Harbor.. I am also waiting to have a landscaper redo shrubs in my back yard and on the berm (to the north) that separates us from the golf course. I was hoping they would have everything done by now, but was just informed that they could not be here until Oct. 7. Is Oct. 15th too late to start a lawn? Would it be better to use sod. I don't want to work on lawn until everyone is done walking over the lawn to get to the back yard. Thank you.

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Mid-October is considered the latest time to plant grass seed. Some warm years this works out great, years that get cold early will not give as good results. You want the grass seedlings to have time to establish a decent root system before the soil freezes.

Especially since you are new to this area, we'd recommend that you read through some of our many webpages about growing successful lawns: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/lawns

Fall is also the prime time to fertilize, however because of the Chesapeake Bay, it's important to understand fertilizer regulations.

You can plant shrubs as long as the soil is not frozen. Be attentive to rainfall. We often have fall droughty spells, and they can be killers. Do not allow plants to go into winter in dry soil, ever. Evergreens are best planted in the spring, especially broad-leaved ones, because they can lose a lot of moisture over the winter through their leaf evaporation.

Ellen