Asian Pear Sauce

I made Asian Pear Sauce and mixed in a few Italian Plums for color and sweetness. I canned it in quarts sized jars and added two tablespoons of lemon juice to each jar. I didn’t think anything of it at the time — a friend makes Asian Pearsauce — but now i am worried about it since no resources talk about Asian pear puree. Is it safe? Thank you!

Linn County Oregon food safety home food preservation

Since you acidified your sauce with lemon juice like you would if you canned them and also added acidic plums you should be safe. It is not one of the fruits listed under fruit purees that is not safe to can into sauce.

I assume you reheated the sauce after making it to boiling and then processed in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes. If you live above 1000 feet elevation you need to adjust the processing time for elevation.

If you have other food preservation questions you might like to call the OSU Food Preservation Hotline open M-F from 9 am - 4 pm until Mid October. Certified Master Food Preservers are available to answer your questions. The number is 1-800-354-7319.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert
Nellie Oehler

I think i processed it for 20 minutes so we should be good! Thank you so much!