Horse chestnut

I picked horse chestnuts from a tree at Sinking Springs Farm in Cecil County. I picked the green fully covered with prickly spines nuts and also some brown ones that were on the ground. From what I read it says that the edible ones have a point on the nut. I heard that you drive over them to get the prickly covering off. Can I make horse chestnut fudge from it? And how do I make it? I was in a rush and for got to take a branch of the tree for ID purposes. I think I have a leaf or part of a leaf in the container of these prickly things. I would hate to walk barefoot around this tree. What is the difference between a chestnut and a horse chestnut?

Harford County Maryland

Hi - All parts of horse chestnuts (Aesculus hippocastanum) contain a toxin. The nuts should not be eaten, not even after a thorough soaking. This article from Michigan State University explains the difference between horse chestnuts and sweet chestnuts. https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/whats_the_difference_between_horse_chestnuts_and_sweet_chestnuts

Christa