What is this bug

What is this bug? It was tiny... like 1/10th if an inch.

Hudson County New Jersey

If you found it in the water, it is called a hellgrammite and is the larva of a dobsonfly. Those jaws are use to catch prey in the water.

Hmm interesting. It was sitting on the outside of the bathroom door. I looked up both those big names and have never seen them. Wonder how it could have gotten there. If it’s larva, I would think the dobsonfly would have flown in and deposited it there. Do they existed as single larva or do you think I should look for more/call exterminator so they they don’t start growing here into adults?

The dobsonfly larvae only live in water so, given this added information, I need to search further.

It could be a ground beetle larva of some kind which may have been forced to leave the soil due to heavy rain.
I am certain that it is not a household pest so you will not need to get an exterminator at this time. It would help to have some reference in the image to indicate size.

It might be a soldier beetle larva.
It could also be a rove beetle larva.
I would need a closer look at its characteristics to know for sure.

Thanks Ed.

About 1/10 inch long. Tiny. If I didn’t have a white door I may not have noticed it. It wasn’t moving and the tissue had a bit red when it was squished. I took a pic on the iPhone which was very zoomed in.

If it was that small, it could have also been a lady beetle larva.
None of theses are pests. As predators, they are beneficial in gardens.

The first answer was the closest, off by just a family. It is in the same order as the aquatic dobsonflies, but a different family-- Chrysopidae, the green lacewings, or Hemerobiidae, the brown lacewings. This is a relatively young one, based on the size, so I can't tell you if which of these two families it is. They are relatively common predatory insects that feed on aphids, mites and other tiny prey.

Thanks!
It definitely looks like that’s correct. Here’s a link I found

https://greenmethods.com/chrysoperla/

This is what we are doing on a Saturday night! ;)

Hey, what could be more fun than talking about interesting predatory insects.