Identify weed

I have a few patches of these weeds in my yard. I have tried to kill them but they continue to grow. They seem to have ridges along the leaves and some type of bulb at the end of the root. Could you tell me what this is and how to get rid of it?

Wicomico County Maryland plant identification native

Hi - These are wild violets. They are a perennial plant (comes back year after year) and are very difficult to eliminate.

There are a number of options including just enjoying the flowers and growing them as a groundcover. As a native plant, they have wildlife value as a larval food source for fritillary butterflies.

If manual removal (digging them out) is not practical, you will have to use an herbicide. Wild violets are hard to control because they are resistant to most common lawn herbicides. It may take multiple applications of an herbicide in order to achieve eventual success.

Immature plants are most susceptible to herbicide applications. Mature plants frequently require two or more herbicide treatments at 21 to 28-day intervals, in the spring and/or fall. Apply a broadleaf weed killer containing Triclopyr or a combination product like Trimec (2,4-D, MCPP, Dicamba) in the spring and then again in the late summer-early fall. Read and follow label directions.

See our website for more information, https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/wild-violet

Christa