Dill Pickle Preserving

September 9, 2019 2 days ago on September 7, my electric range had a problem (canning element’s heat melted the terminal block so shut range off). I had 17 quart jars filled with raw cukes and brine. I put the jars in the refrigerator until I can find out if those jars can be processed safely. It’s now close to noon today (48 hours refrigerated). If the filled quarts were brought to room temperature, could they be water bath processed and end up with a safe product to eat? Please reply to this message or I can be reached at: 541-521-3517 Thanks, Bev Carlson

Lane County Oregon food safety home food preservation

Hi Bev,

I recommend to call our hotline experts to help you problem solve. The toll-free hotline (800-354-7319) is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (July 15th - October 18th). Extension certified Master Food Preserver volunteers from Lane and Douglas counties take the calls.

Oregon State University Extension Service offers this food preservation and safety hotline every year during the peak canning season. The hotline is available for queries on proper canning techniques, safe recipes to follow, and the locations for pressure canner gauge testing in your area.

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert, and happy canning!