When to plant bearded irises

How late in the fall is it possible to plant bearded irises here in the Willamette Valley?

Linn County Oregon

Hi and thanks for contacting Ask an Expert
Bearded iris are extremely hardy if they are mulched and planted in a soil with good drainage. I have transplanted Iris as late as October or early November depending on the weather. If it has been steadily raining and the soil is drenched I would wait until spring time otherwise you can plant with about an inch of soil on top and then mulch with leaves or straw, etc. to keep the wind from blowing the soil away.
If you are transplanting, dig carefully around the Iris and keep the roots with it. Dig a 1-2 inch trench and lay the iris in lengthwise, then cover as noted above. I cut the leaves back to about 4-5 inches before digging them up. If they have a flower stalk, I cut that back to the ground. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.