Worms in Corn-Second Request
Asked September 6, 2019, 12:28 PM EDT
How can I minimize worms in corn crop?
Prince George's County Maryland field crops
I assume you are talking about ear worms in sweet corn. Hope this helps.
- Select sweet corn cultivars with ear tips tightly covered by husks.
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt), an “organic” pesticide, can be used on early larval stages.
- Mineral oil dropped onto corn ear tip 5-7 days after silking prevents egg laying.
- After silk browns, rubber band ear tips to prevent larvae burrowing into kernels.
- Trichogramma wasps, a naturally occurring native enemy, will parasitize larvae.
- Spring and fall tilling destroys pupae.
- Early crops suffer less infestation than late season crops.
- Plant extra to compensate for damage and simply cut out damaged portions.