Blue Spruce not doing well

I planted some 4 foot Blue Spruce around Memorial Day. I watered them weekly and they were doing well with new growth. About a month ago they all of sudden started to lose needles and the leader. I am wondering what could be causing the problem.

Hennepin County Minnesota blue spruce horticulture

It could be transplant shock or it could be too much water. Depending on where you live your tree might have gotten too much rain water. Newly transplanted trees are as also affected by too much water and the signs are the same as too little. Another possibility is it’s roots have not grown out.

Can I trim bank the branches and leader hoping for new growth next year? If so what time of year should I do it?
Thanks

Shearing is best done in early March after it warms up but is still freezing at night. Diseases and insects aren’t present then, so we hat is the best time to prune.