Sending in Germplasm

Asked September 5, 2019, 1:47 PM EDT

If I have receive germplasm from GRIN for research purposes could I send some of the newly developed germplasm to the center that I originally received it from to resupply their gerplasm store? Would they want it? If they do how would I go about sending the new gerplasm in?

Watauga County North Carolina

1 Response

This is a question that you can ask directly of the curator from the PI station where you received the germplasm. In general the National Plant Germplasm System (NPGS) stations prefer to do their own germplasm regeneration as they are familiar with the species, mating system, and characteristics of the accession. Their knowledge allows them to preserve the integrity of the collection.

In your question you use the phrase "newly developed germplasm", which implies that you have made crosses (pollen transfer) and selections. When you have germplasm that is distinct, unique, and stable you could consider adding it to the NPGS. The curator could provide you information needed to do this, including seed lot sizes, description and passport information.

NPGS and GRIN are such great resources, aren't they?