Asked September 5, 2019, 12:44 PM EDT

I have only seen these about once every 5 years is that normal. Will that's how many times they've come up in my driveway in the last 20 years

Monroe County Pennsylvania

1 Response

Mushrooms are naturally occurring fungi that grow when they've got suitable conditions such as decaying organic matter in the soil, bark and leaf fragments, dead tree roots underneath, animal waste and such. Most of the time, these mushrooms are harmless and even beneficial but should not be eaten since some mushrooms can be poisonous. As long as there's decaying matter around, it's unlikely you'll ever completely stop these mushrooms and their periodic appearance, especially in the fall, is a sign of decaying matter in your lawn.