aeration

I live in Parkton (northern Baltimore County) and, in my opinion, it's time to "aerate and over seed". As I inquired as to price, etc. several respondents championed aeravation rather than core aeration. Aside from the aesthetics, i.e. 3 inch plugs all over the lawn for several weeks, or not, is methodology much better than the other? The price is the same. Please advise.

Baltimore County Maryland lawns and turf core aeration

Yes, this is the time for aeration and overseeding. The principal behind core aeration is actually pulling plugs of soil out of the ground. While the plugs may look temporarily unsightly this is what you want to see. As they break down they provide nutrients and microorganisms to the soil below. So our recommendation would be is aeration using the conventional core aerator.

Deb

Thank you; core aeration it is! Advancing years requires that I use a service to weekly mow our acre and one-half, then should we suspend the mowing upon completion of the core aeration? And if so, for how long? One week? Two weeks?

You want to have the lawn mowed right before the core aeration. If your lawn service is agreeable (sometimes they do not like to lower the cutting blades) have them mow it about 1 1/2 inches. It is better to aerate when the soil is moist. If the soil is too dry it will be more difficult for the aerator machine to pull the soil plugs out. So if we do not get any rain soon irrigate before aeration.
Yes, you need to wait to mow. If you can wait until the new grass seed comes up and needs to be mowed too (when it reaches about 4 inches) that would be best. Have your lawn company cut the lawn to about 3 inches at this point.

Deb