PFAS & PFOS Water Filters

Asked September 2, 2019, 8:24 PM EDT

I live in Mt Pleasant, Union Township, the water is really nasty.. anytime you use the water for something dark it looks like an oil slick floating on top.. it breaks up kind of like as if there was almost a solid fat on top of it.. my family lives in an apartment complex but we need a water filter, do you know of any that filter or reduce the pfas & pfos?? I tried searching but.. it's just not that easy..

Isabella County Michigan

6 Responses

Thanks for the question. It sounds like you have some issues with your water (is that your drinking water that you describe)? There could be PFAS in your water, but it sounds like you have other contamination issues. However, water filters that help reduce PFAS chemicals, including PFOS and PFOA are listed by NSF International, a company out of Michigan that is a recognized organization for certifying water filters. You can go to a general article on filters that remove PFAS at:
That then links to the listing of filters that have been certified by the company: . It also provides good general information on other filters that are used in the household.

For more general information on the types of filters that should be used for removing or reducing PFAS (but not brand names), visit Michigan's PFAS website at and more specifically for filters:,9038,7-365-86510_87156-469641--,00.html.

I hope this information will be useful to you. You might consider having that water tested by a drinking water lab for at least bacteria and a partial chemistry analysis.

Hi Lois, thanks for the reply back. I'm trying to find a filter, most likely either a faucet, sink top or pitcher..

My question is, does this mean the same thing when it says this??

"tested and certified by NSF International against ANSI Standard 42 and 53"

***Drinking water (correct)

Yes. NSF International certification require extensive testing which includes meeting "strict material safety and structural requirements as defined in NSF/ANSI 53, an American National Standard for drinking water treatment units." Standard 42 is for aesthetic effects and Standard 53 are for health effects.

Thank you so much for your quick replies, I truly appreciate you!
One last question & I promise I won't bother you anymore!!

Where would I get my water tested at that I know it's going to be truly tested?

Miigwech for all you do!!
Shut Down Line 5!!!


You can send it to any certified lab and feel comfortable with the results they provide. You could also ask your local health department if they test. EGLE does, and you can contact them about submitting a sample at 517-335-8184. For any lab that does the testing, you need to inform them as to which tests you want done. A partial chemistry test is the most common along with a fecal coliform or E. coli test. If you want something other than that, you must inform them, and pay for it. If you're thinking about PFOS or PFOA, there's only one or two labs in the state that currently can test for them -- and the cost is around $500. Again, check first with your local health department for that. I'd suggest you start with more routine tests and see if those concentrations are above standards.