slow boiled eggs

We like to make egg salad. I learned that hard boiled eggs are harder to digest than slow boiled eggs. How do you recommend cooking slow boiled eggs?

Clackamas County Oregon nutrition food preparation eggs

Thanks for contacting Ask the Expert. In order to answer your question definitively, I have a couple of questions for you. What is the difference between hard boiled and slow boiled eggs? Are slow boiled eggs soft-boiled eggs? Please let me know so that I can further research an answer. Thanks!

The eggs I want to cook can be used like hard boiled eggs, but they do not get quite as hard as hard boiled eggs and therefore they are more digestible. They have firm yolks, but not as dry as hard boiled yolks

Here is the process quoted in cookbooks and by chefs to "slow cook" an egg:

Heat water in a large saucepan or stockpot until a cook's thermometer reads 60C to 62C. Place a saucer on the bottom to stop the eggs from gathering on the base, where the temperature is highest.

Carefully add the eggs and cook for 50 minutes, keeping the temperature constant. Remove a ''test'' egg, crack in half, and slide on to a warm plate. The white should be soft, translucent and jelly-like, and the yolk still gently runny. If not yet cooked, give the others another 5 to 10 minutes.

Note: The resources also state that the process is unreliable when done in a home kitchen using standard home kitchen utensils.

Good Luck!