I need advice on how to best manage my 3.33 acres of forest. I have many...

I need advice on how to best manage my 3.33 acres of forest. I have many questions and don’t know where to start. For example what should I be doing about invasive plant species? Can I locate and help nurture Ash seedlings to replace those killed by the emerald ash borer? I could use advice on lawn feathering to help the birds, and would like to plant milkweed to help monarchs.

Stark County Ohio

Thanks for such a great question and for your interest in managing your woodland resources. My best advice would be to contact your local OSU Extension office for a site visit and assistance. They can point you to local resources for each of your questions.

As for your question about nurturing ash seedlings, I don't think there is much you can do. Ash seedlings are often abundant under in the understory, and they will likely respond to the increased light that follows the death of the canopy trees. Unfortunately they will likely be susceptible to emerald ash borer (EAB) once they get large enough for EAB to attack. I recommend working with a local forester to identify some other desirable species that may be capable of filling the voids.

Your local Agricultural and Natural Resources Educator is:

Heather Neikirk
Agriculture & Natural Resources Educator330-832-9856, x3476
neikirk.2@osu.edu