What is this?

Asked August 29, 2019, 3:10 PM EDT

I have a pussy willow with these white things on the underside of the leaves. What are they?

Deschutes County Oregon

1 Response

Thank you for your question. The structures on your plant are called galls, and are created by insects, but in your case, probably by an eriophyid mite, and you can read about the process here: http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/GARDEN/PLANTS/INVERT/willowgallsaw.html

Since they don't hurt anything, you can just enjoy one of nature's more interesting processes!