Aggressive bees

I own an acre of property in Brighton Michigan, which has diverse settings: typical front yard with no trees, and then a large, large backyard sloping down a hill with pine forest, a meadow, small oak tree section, grasslands, and eight Pinetree‘s about four years old. Anyway, as I was cutting the grass in the back meadow this morning, I kept getting attacked by bees. I was stone 3-4 times. Nothing like this has ever happened before. About an hour later I went into the front yard, which is at least 250 feet away from the backyard meadow and on the other side of the house, and as I was simply raking out some dirt where I removed a lilac tree stump, again I was attacked by and strung by two more bees. I know that this time a year yellow jackets are more aggressive, is that the exclamation for this? Or have the African bees arrived now in Southeast Michigan? Thanks for your help.

Livingston County Michigan bees

The bees that nes in the ground do seem to be aggressive. There is a good article that tells how to get rid of them — pesticide.msu.edu/insects-and-arthropods/yellowjackets/. I hope you find it helpful.