Orchids

I purchased 5 orchids (phalenopsis cascase orchid) on sale because they were wilted. I watered them and they seem to have recovered. They came each in a clear plastic container whith openings at the bottom, and instead of soil they come planted in small pieces of wood or perhaps thick mulch (?) The plastic containers are each inside a ceramic pot with no holes. I want to place each orchid in a permanent container and keep them indoors. Should I remove them from their existing, small, super market-type of container and place them is a better container and should I replace the wood pieces/mulch with soil?

San Diego County California orchids

Thank you for your question. Orchids are epiphytes, which means that they do not live in soil (epi-above, phyte-roots). In nature, they are attached to limbs of trees, and get water and nutrients from the air (in rain forests.) Here is a care article that should help you sustain them: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/care-phalaenopsis-orchids-moth-orchid Good luck!