Shady Hill

I live in Columbia, Maryland. I have a yard with many trees providing lots of shade over a fairly steep hill (about 2 feet out for each foot down). I am looking for recommendations on what ground cover I should use. It must allow me to blow leaves over the area.

Howard County Maryland

Here is our page on recommended groundcovers, which includes shade tolerance and ability to stabilitze a slope: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/flowers/groundcovers

Your choice will depend somewhat upon how many leaves you intend to blow over the area. If leaves are too thick, they will smother ground-hugging groundcovers, especially evergreens. A few inches of leaves are fine, of course. They'll just decompose to feed your plants, or blow off.

Taller groundcovers will welcome 6" or so of leaves between plants, but taller evergreens will still not be happy with a thick cover of leaves on their foliage.

Whatever you plant, try to water during dry periods for at least 2 years. This includes from spring through fall. Many fall droughts are killers.

Ellen

Ellen, thanks for the response. When I said I wanted to blow leaves over the ground cover, I really meant to say thru the ground cover. I want the leaves to be blown from one side to the other and not remain in the middle.