Plant I.D.

Is this a form of sedge? Thank you.

Anne Arundel County Maryland weed identification kyllinga weed

Yes, I believe you are absolutely correct - had never seen it before. I've manually removed all the kyllinga I've seen - it comes up in clumps fairly easily, especially when ground is wet. It certainly behaves as a "weed" and spreads quickly.
I don't understand how it came to grow in a linear fashion along a line where I had planted Candy Tuft in the Spring, behind a slight gully with new river rock over plastic.
Thank you very much.

It's possible that when you were preparing the planting bed and installing your candytuft, that you created a perfect environment for the kyllinga seeds, too. They took the opportunity to flourish.

Also possible that the seeds or a small kyllinga weed came in the candytuft soil. Many weeds get spread this way.

The important thing now is to keep the kyllinga from spreading all over your landscape. Keep a keen eye out for it in that area for the next few years.

Ellen

Thank you.