Venomous snake on front porch

I live in urban Catonsville, and my dog walker was bitten by what the emergency room doctors determined was probably a venomous snake. She didn't see it, though the presumption is that it was a copperhead. I've never seen a copperhead or timber rattler on my property, though garter snakes are common. What I would like to know is if there is anything I should or can do to prevent someone being bitten again? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Baltimore County Maryland reptiles wildlife snake

Timber rattlesnakes are not found in this area. There are many types of common snakes that live in MD and are not poisonous.
Snakes are a part of nature and are beneficial as they help to keep the rodent population down. It is possible rodents may be plentiful in the area. However, you do not want snakes living near your home.
To discourage them remove stacks of firewood, leaves or other debris from near the home. Snakes like to hide in dense vegetation and debris.
When working in areas where snakes are found, wear gloves when moving logs, rock or underbrush. Look first before putting your hands where a venomous snake might be hiding.
Snakes occasionally wander into basements. Prevent this from occurring by caulking all openings around the house, especially windows and doors.
See more tips on our website https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/snakes

Marian