Canning Jars

Asked August 23, 2019, 2:36 PM EDT

I have upwards of 200 canning jars from jam size to quarts. We are moving and downsizing. Would you have use for them?

Multnomah County Oregon

1 Response

Unfortunately Multnomah County does not have a Master Food Preserver program at this time,

However, the Clackamas County Extension Service, Family & Community Health Program, would be interested in any jam, jelly, or pint jars for our community Food Preservation classes. The office and storage unit are both located at 200 Warner Milne Road in Oregon City. If it is possible for you to drop jars off at the office at your convenience, they will be happy to reuse them.

You can also call our toll-free hotline (800-354-7319) -- open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (July 15th - October 18th). Extension certified Master Food Preserver volunteers from Lane and Douglas counties take the calls, and they may have additional ideas about where to donate your jars.

Oregon State University Extension Service offers this food preservation and safety hotline every year during the peak canning season. The hotline is available for queries on proper canning techniques, safe recipes to follow, and the locations for pressure canner gauge testing in your area.

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert!