pumpkin

About how many pumpkins could I expect from one plant? I heard that only one pumpkin will grow on each runner/tendril (what ever they are called)?

Clackamas County Oregon pumpkins

Hi and thanks for contacting Ask an Expert.
Your question depends on a few things. How big the pumpkins are, what your soil is like and whether the vines have been pinched off or not.
Large pumpkins can produce 2 to 5 pumpkins per vine. Small or mini-pumpkins can produce up to a dozen. However, it also depends on the soil amendments and how well the plant itself is growing, are there cucumber beetles eating the blossoms or fungal growth on the leaves. Are you watering the plants enough.
Pinching off the tips of the vines early on will make the vine regrow and produce more but probably smaller pumpkins. Pollinators are also a need for pumpkins, so the more pollinators you have the more pumpkins will get started.
When you start your plants always amend the soil with rich compost and some manure. Pumpkins need a lot of nutrients.
I have added a link from our Extension office in Illinois, this article has most of the basic information on pumpkins. When you harvest, leave the stem on and place outside to harden off both the skin and the stem for a week to 10 days (out of the rain). This will increase the storage time of the squash. If you have any further questions, please recontact us.https://web.extension.illinois.edu/pumpkins/growing.cfm