Deceased Spouse Debt

I came across the MSU article titled "Are you responsible for the debt of your deceased spouse?" I noticed it was published in 2013. My spouse has a terminal disease and we live in MI. We talked about getting a divorce so the surviving spouse wouldn't be stuck with the huge medical bills that are piling up. A couple that we knew, who are mutual friends, did this very thing in order to save a family business from being held liable for the resulting bills. I have a couple of questions. 1. Is the law still in effect? 2. Would I be responsible for the medical bills? (treatments are being done in Indiana/we live in MI) Thanks for any help.

Cass County Michigan financial crisis death of spouse

Good Morning,

I would encourage you to visit an informative article from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, on this very topic at: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/am-i-responsible-to-pay-off-the-debts-of-my-deceased-spouse... In addition, to gain appropriate answers to your questions, I would highly encourage you to contact your local Legal Aide office, as well as consult with a CPA.

Kind Regards,

Jinnifer Ortquist, MSU Extension Educator