Help with front garden

Hello and thank you in advance for your help. A few years back I dug out this entire area and replaced it with some good garden dirt. At least that is what the guy said it was from a local landscaping supplier. My wife and I planted a variety of annuals and perennials. The first set of flowers did great. My wife would go out and water daily for the first couple of years now this year her heart wasn't in it and she let it go as you can see. So I know it is getting late in the year and I travel most every week so it is hard for me to water daily. So my thoughts are to leave it this year and start fresh next spring. The ground is getting hard and it gets about 3 - 4 hours of sun. So is there anything I should do to help me next spring? My neighbor told me to put black plastic down and cover with mulch but I am not sure about that. I thought about tilling it up and than put a light coat of mulch over it so it won't be so hard next spring. Or is there something else I should do if anything at all? .

The other thing about this picture is why am I saying it's hard. It has been over a month since it has been weeded. So you see there aren't many weeds/grass coming out in it.

Macomb County Michigan winter protection

The best thing you can do is add organic material to the area. This will add nutrients and micro organism activity plants need. This can be compost or even leaves and work it into the soil. You can chip up a pile of leaves easily with a lawn mower.
I hope this is helpful,