for the last several days I am finding the attached on my deck in my back...

for the last several days I am finding the attached on my deck in my back yard. It's not on the entire deck, only on one side and when you smash them they smash like poop. Can you please tell me what animal these are from. I have a dog and am getting a bit worried.

Cuyahoga County Ohio insect frass caterpillar poop

It smashes like poop because it is poop or more appropriately frass from a caterpillar. Somewhere above your deck, a large caterpillar is feeding in a tree. As the caterpillar eats, it poops out the barrel-shaped frass pellets. The frass should not be a problem for your dog even if it eats them. Here is a link to more information about a potential candidate for the poop producer over your deck: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/MISC/MOTHS/polyphemus_moth.htm

I'm in complete SHOCK. How can a catepillar poop so big!!!! LOL Thank you for taking my anxiety down. I was thinking a coon, or snake or something. Greatly appreciated.