Clover Lawn

We have a small country property and would like to promote clover in the yard around our house and other outbuildings. There is approximately 3 acres of land for this project. The property is on Plymouth Drive, which is mostly surrounded by grass fields. Our objectives would be to replace the current "lawn" (not really a lawn, more of a field) with clover to support bee population and soil health as well as minimizing water use (we rarely water the grass anyway) and pesticide use (never, actually). Anyway, I am looking for some advice on whether or not this will work and, if so, some input on how to go about this. Since our property doubles as an equine installation, we have access to lots of composted horse manure and a smaller amount of worm castings. We would welcome a visit from one of your knowledgeable agents, if that is something your service supports.

Benton County Oregon lawns and turf attracting pollinators clover

Your plan will not work because clover needs irrigation to maintain its stand in the summer. You would end up with a mix of deep rooted weeds like false dandelion and other plants germinating from the soil seed bank that can survive 3 months of drought. You would also end up with winter annual weeds that germinate with the fall rains, grow through the winter and then flower and produce seed in the spring, and then die when the drought hits. Some common grass examples might be annual bluegrass (Poa annua) or rat's tail fescue (Vulpia myuros).

I am sorry I couldn't be more help.

Brian,

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess I will abandon the idea entirely. One thing that stands out though: I looked up the grasses you suggested as alternatives and both seem to classified as weeds. Certainly, I am not inclined to plant weeds in my yard. I guess I will just let what is there grow and deal with it.

Mark

Mark,

Those were not suggestions- only the plants that you would likely end up with along with other things in your soil seed bank. Just for information purposes, annual bluegrass is what comes in and takes over golf courses (including putting greens) in western Oregon and Washington. It can be maintained to a high standard (as golf courses do) with proper maintenance, but without irrigation, it would act as I mentioned above.

Good luck.