Pressure canning gauges

Asked August 15, 2019, 1:10 PM EDT

Google tells me the pressure gauge on a pressure canner must be checked every year before canning season; it says, “ Your county extension office can check pressure gauges” for home canning. Is this true? Where do I bring my gauge so I am assured the low acid vegetables I can will be safe to eat?

Multnomah County Oregon

1 Response

Due to budget cuts, Extension Services does not have an office in Multnomah County that can assist with food preservation or gauge testing. However, gauge testing is available at the Washington County Extension Office (8 AM – 12 PM and 1 - 5 PM). Our Washington Extension Service Office is located at 1815 NW 169th Place, Suite 1000, Beaverton. Please call (503) 821-1150 for additional information.

Other resources in Multnomah and Washington County include:

Ace Hardware, 3602 Pacific Ave., Forest Grove, (503) 357-3164, canner gauge tests and replacement canner parts.

Ace Hardware, 3470 SW 185th, Aloha, (503) 649-5555, canning supplies & replacement parts.

Bi-Mart for canning supplies.

Joe’s Place Farm, 701 NE 112th Ave, Vancouver, WA, 360-892-3974, (open late May thru Dec, Mon – Sat, or call to make certain someone is there), canner gauge tests and Clear Jel sales.

For any other questions related to food safety and preservation, you can call our OSU Extension toll-free food safety/preservation hotline at 800-354-7319. The hotline runs until Oct. 18 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. The volunteers have a statewide list of where we have gauge testing available. When the hotline is closed, callers can leave a message. The hotline is staffed by certified Master Food Preserver volunteers in Lane and Douglas counties, but it’s available statewide.

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.