Didn't use a rack between 2 layers of green beans in pressure canner

I used my mom's pressure canner to can some green beans. You can do two levels in her canner, while I am used to only having one level. I didn't have the instruction book for her canner and didn't think about using a rack between the two levels. Are the green beans unsafe now? Can they be re-processed in the morning?

In the attached picture, the jars on the right were from the top layer while the jar on the left were from the bottom layer. My green beans usually look like the ones on the right. They were raw packed.

I will not know until tomorrow if they sealed.

Thanks!

Washington County Oregon food safety home food preservation

It sounds like you need an immediate response. I recommend contacting

our hotline experts for a quick response. The toll-free hotline (800-354-7319) is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (July 15th - October 18th). Extension certified Master Food Preserver volunteers from Lane and Douglas counties take the calls. I will call them now and see if I can forward your picture.

Oregon State University Extension Service offers this food preservation and safety hotline every year during the peak canning season. The hotline is available for queries on proper canning techniques, safe recipes to follow, and the locations for pressure canner gauge testing in your area.

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert, and happy canning!

I did call them this morning. They said they would be safe. The rack is mostly top keep the jars from breaking.

Good to hear! I am glad our hotline experts were able to assist you.