My Bartlett Pear Tree

We just moved into our home in Beaverton in January. During inspection in November, there were LOTS of pears on the ground, ripe, good size, not all rotten, and I picked up over 10 pounds to eat. We also have an apple tree. The apple tree gave LOTS of fruit this year and is nearing the end. The pear tree has lots of moss growing on the branches. It has many leaves, but not all branches have leaves. I've not seen any blossoms. Is there a cycle where the pear tree won't bear fruit? I was expecting that the tree would bear fruit in the Fall, but I'm wondering what signs I should see that it will bear fruit. I'm very new at this. Thank you.

Washington County Oregon fruit trees pears

What you are seeing is called biennial bearing and it is very common in fruit trees. Especially backyard trees. There is a genetic component in that certain varieties do it more or less, but it can be exacerbated by management. If you let the tree over crop in one year, it can deplete its resources to the point where few fruits form the next year. So, on heavy years, it can be a good idea to hand thin fruit early in the season to reduce the stress on the tree. Also, fertilize your trees relatively consistently on an annual basis. Don't over fertilize, do it to correspond with annual growth.

These practices can help the tree produce more consistently.