moldy carpet, sick, sick cat and bugs

Asked August 11, 2019, 8:52 PM EDT

I am dealing with a horrible mildew smell in my apartment, carpet with mold underneath, chemical and drug contamination and now seeing bugs. Myself and my cat are sick as well. This was from my neighbors who were cooking drugs and flooded the apartments in my hallway in March and a manager who is refusing to do anything about MY carpet but had replaced his carpet and the others in the hallway. I am now seeing house centipedes, other small bugs and I have never had bug issues since living here for a year. What am I dealing with and what can I do without any money or being financially able to move.??

Multnomah County Oregon

4 Responses

I recommend contacting the Oregon Public Health Environmental Health Department. The toxicologists there will take calls (971-673-0977) and can provide excellent information about healthy homes/mold, etc. You can also go to their website:

If you have additional issues related to your rights as a tenant, you can also check out - a free legal resource website managed by Legal Aid Services of Oregon (LASO) containing information about a wide-range of housing issues, including: getting back your security deposit, moving out and wrongful eviction, and retaliation and wrongful entry by landlords. LASO's Portland Regional Office can be contacted at 503.224.4086. LASO has a Multnomah County Housing Hotline Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. at 503.295.2237.

Hi Teresa and thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it ! I've contacted all of these agencies and no one can help me. I'm sick with horrible allergy symptoms, vision issues, weight loss and really worried about my cat, she's only 1 year old. It's absolutely disgusting that a property manager can get away with this, especially when it's causing severe health issues in a person and pet. Very upsetting.

These are the bugs I now keep finding. Along with house centipedes. Do you know what bugs these are! Very small and hard to kill.

Here at Ask an Expert we are not medical or legal professionals, so for medical advice you need to consult with your physician. For veterinary medical advice for your cat contact your veterinarian. For help with your landlord there are organizations for renters' rights, such as OSPIRG Resources for Oregon Tenants and Community Alliance of Tenants that can help you.