Repeat infestation of yellow jackets.

Five weeks ago I had yellow jackets nesting up under my siding 8" from my entryway side door. Called an exterminator and the day he was due to come they were some how getting into my exit hallway and buzzing all over the window to my inside door! I managed to kill them with bug spray. Exterminator came, killed two more inside, did his thing and all gone by the next day. Fast forward to today. I have killed at least 18 yellow jackets in that same hallway today! Weird thing is, none of them ever attempted (thankfully) to fly. They were crawling around slowly, mainly on the carpet, as if drugged. Stepped on those, sprayed the ones that weren't. Every time I went down to check there were more. Do eggs survive extermination then become ill but not dead? I did see 2 on the foundation where the nest had been. Sprayed the one and the other never made an attempt to fly away. What do you make of this?? (texted exterminator also)

New York County New York insect issues yellow jackets

Hi,

It sounds to me like you have some way that the yellow jackets are able to enter your home. They only need a small hole and it might be around the windows or doors or where the molding meets the floor/wall or even via light fixtures. Realistically all these areas need to be carefully inspected and sealed if any holes are found. It's not any bees hatching from eggs that you are seeing, its just the ones trying to save themselves. It must have been a pretty big bee colony and until you find the way they are getting into the house, I think they will continue to try to escape the pesticide and crawl in.

As far as the sluggish ones in the house, it is likely that they were exposed to the pesticide that the exterminator sprayed but not directly killed and crawled away to escape and found the entrance hole to get into your house. So you were left stepping on them or spraying them indoors.

Dawn P.,
Thank you for your quick response! Seeing as though they just appeared suddenly after nothing for 5 weeks after extermination I'm thinking hatchlings. The exterminator will be here tomorrow HOPEFULLY with no additional charge! Thanks again!

Oh! Sorry...you said they're NOT eggs hatching. Oops, my bad lol.

My bad too. Monday morning - I did not really think through their life cycle. The queen overwinters and lays some eggs in the spring and then these workers take care of her but she is laying eggs which hatch into larvae all summer. So I think it must have been the larvae that survived and pupated into adults that you are seeing. Perhaps the larvae were not within adequate reach of the pesticide that was sprayed and they were compromised but not killed. At any rate, it sounds like a follow up spraying as well as figuring out the spot where they are getting into the house is in order. Good luck.