Can my fullmoon maple be saved?

Hi- My maple is looking pretty rough this year. Branches started wilting when the weather got hot. I cut off one branch, but it continues to fade. Is it likely to get better? Do I need to cut away the dying branches?

Washtenaw County Michigan

Major problems that occur with maples like Norway, Sugar, Japanese, and related species is root rot, stem cankers, and verticillium wilt. This springs lengthy periods of rainfall left soils saturated for days, preventing root uptake of oxygen. Roots begin to die when oxygen is not available and this in turn leads to dying back of limbs as we get into the hot part of the season. Damage roots can also provide an opening for a soil borne root disease called verticillium wilt. This internal fungus moves through the plant, killing tissue as it is transported around the plant. The only thing that can be done at this point is to prevent further stress to the plant by moving it to a more shaded. Do not fertilize this time of year but fertilizer can be applied in early spring to help boost plant health.