Scat

If I send you a picture of some scat in my pasture, can you help me identify it?

Marion County Oregon scat id

Thank you for your question. Our wildlife expert is unavailable, and family commitments prevent me from learning this topic. I suggest you contact the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife to see if staff there can help. Here is their webpage: https://www.dfw.state.or.us/ Good luck!

I am a forester, not a wildlife expert. But I am familiar with different versions of deer feces, of which this is one. Also, wildlife biologists use "pellet counts" as one way to study deer habitat use. I have learned from wildlife biologists over the years that characteristics of deer feces (and that of many other animals...) varies depending on the forage quality and moisture content. When forage is succulent with high moisture content, is comes out more like the globs in your photo. Drier, perhaps more woody browse results in more pelletized droppings.

And, finally, I could match your photo very well by following too closely the family of deer that frequents my own grass/dandelion field (won't call it a lawn).

Thank you so much! Since it was under an Apple tree I think you’re right.