Cabbage Leaf Mottling

Good day- I have several cabbages out back with this weird mottling in the leaves. Some are much worse and whatever it is is deforming the leaves. These are being grown in Yard Debris Compost that I got from Clackamas Landscape Supply, and because it was still steaming when I got it into the beds, I figured it was probably still hot so I amended the bed with blood meal. They (the cabbages) are for the most part growing well, but a few are stunted already and this mystery ailment is making things worse. What is it and what do I do? I sure don't want to lose my cabbages; they take forever to grow and these are for winter.

Clackamas County Oregon vegetable gardening

Thank you for your question. Cabbages (and other brassica family members) are subject to several fungal diseases. Viruses have been detected in the East, but not in the Northwest. I suggest you take some leaves in to the CC Extension office, so they can be examined. The office is staffed weekdays between 9 and noon, and 1 and 4. It is located at 200 Warner-Milne Road, Oregon City. Good luck!