Steam canner questions

Hello, I follow you guys on fb and am hoping you might be able to clarify a couple of things with the multi-use steam canner, specifically for using the steam function. I know the recipes must be high acid, follow approved times, etc. 1) the box says it fits 8 pints but I can easily get 10-11 on the included rack, can I do that or do I have to stick to only 8 jars? 2) there is enough headroom to triple stack 4 oz jars or double stack 8 oz ones, would that be allowed? Thank you so much!

Sarasota County Florida food preparation

Thank you for your question. No experts in this are available over the weekend. Please contact your own Extension office: http://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/sarasota/ Good luck!

It's no emergency. Perhaps someone could answer it during the week? The only qualified extension agent in a one hour radius retired a few years ago. There is nobody local to answer :) It's also a question I see constantly on fb groups, so it would be great to know the official answer.

I’ll send it on to one of our state experts.

Hi:

Follow the manufacturer's instructions for operating and loading the equipment. It might fit more jars but that space is for appropriate steam/air circulation to distribute temperature evenly over the containers and meet the thermal processing needed to make the product shelf stable. Overfilling it will cause a process deviation as the temperature will not circulate uniformly over the containers for the time required making them be under processed and allowing bacteria (particularly Clostridium botulinum - Botulism) survive = very dangerous. Stick to loading no more than eight pints at a time as per the manufacturer's instructions. Perhaps contacting the manufacturer directly can give more information. See if they have a mailing address/email or phone number.

Hope this helps. Thank you for using eXtension.