Fertilize cattle pastures summer

I have an area of my cattle pasture that is slow to grow due to sandy soil. The pasture is two seasons old and planted with central Oregon pasture seed mix. What type of fertilizer can I use now to boost growth and health? Thanks! Jim

Deschutes County Oregon pastures and forages

Jim,

We generally recommend 40-60 lb//ac N 3 times per season (April 1-15, June 1-15, and August 1-15 for application timing) depending upon price of N, value of production, amount of legume in pasture,etc. Also you want to add 15-20 lb/ac S annually. For P and K, you want to go by a soil test, which should be done every 2-3 years. Recommend a 0-6 inch soil test for pasture and Fall is the best time to test soil...

I would put on 40-60 lb/ac N (actual N) and some sulfur if you have not added it this year.

If you are not getting our C.O. Ag Newsletter call 541-548-6088 to get signed up and take it via email.

If you have quesiton give me a call at phone number below...

Mylen Bohle
Area Extension Agronomist
Central Oregon
OSU Crook County Extensoin Service
Prineivlle, OR
541-447-6228
mylen.bohle@oregonstate.edu

Thanks Mylen, I know what P, K, and N, are....what is ā€œSā€?

Sulfur. Could be gypsum or elemental sulfur or some other fertilizer source. You want to use that 15-20 lb/ac of actual sulfur, which is different from the pounds per acre of material you apply.. It takes around 4lb/ac of sulfur to grow 2,000 lb/acre of dry matter forage.