Mason bees

My mason bee tubes have increased to 7. I have noticed 2 oversized bees going in other tubes Even going in backwards and foreword. They are bigger than the bees sent me. Could they be same ones grown up since few months ago?Tight fit for the larger bees

Tate County Mississippi bees

Thank you for your question. It is probably far too late in the year for Mason bees to be creating tubes with eggs, since the food source (orchard trees with pollen and nectar) have been converted to fruit—the next step after pollination. However, hundreds of other species need ‘housing’ for their young, and mature in the months after the mama Mason bees die—their work done. The Mason bee eggs do not pupate until far later in the year, so what you are seeing are a different bee species that needs a larger tube to protect its young. Many species need tubes. Many more (over 500 species in NA) need ground tubes. If you research ‘native bees in Mississippi’ you can see the enormous number of bees which live among us. Enjoy—and protect!