Household Insect

I have found a nest of bugs under a small space in my kitchen cabinet.I vacuumed the space, cleaned it with bleach and sealed the entrance. Attached is a picture of the bug which I am unable to ID from pictures on the web. Could you tell me what the bug is? Did I do the right things? May the bug come back? I speculate that a mouse may have become trapped under the counter and died there although we never smelled rotting. Appreciate your advice. Ted Kluznik, 1448 Park Hills Ct., Woodbury, MN 55125.

Washington County Minnesota household pests flour beetle

Thanks for the question.

It is always a bit disconcerting to discover that one’s living and eating spaces are shared with small, crawling things. Since you found these critters in your kitchen, I suspect they may be one of various insects that are attracted to food. See:

https://extension.umn.edu/product-and-houseplant-pests/pantry-pests-insects-found-stored-food#beetles-55711

The picture that you sent is not distinct enough to make a positive identification. However at the above site navigate to “drugstore beetles”. This might be what you have. Also at the above site will be described remedial measures that you can take, some of which you have already done. I suspect that with your continued vacuuming, these insects will soon disappear. Be sure that any food containers in your cabinets are well sealed. Bleach probably will not have any effect on these beetles.

Since you did not find any evidence of a dead mouse nor smelled anything unusual, I don’t think that possibility has anything to do with your current beetle friends.

Good Luck!!

I think it is a larder beetle, in the family Dermestidae. It should be covered in the same reference.