Kudzu Removal

We are getting ready to mobilize and send a crew to a client's house to start the process of removing Kudzu from their wooded space. The Kudzu has not established a heavy presence yet, but is out there. We proposed a cut and spray method that will see us remove the lower growth of the Kudzu and spray down selective herbicides. My first question is if there is an herbicide that has shown to be most effective in it's targeting of Kudzu with minimal effect on other woody materials? My second question is if this is the best method for us to use? Mowing is not an option, so the vines will have to be cut by hand. Thanks for your help.

Montgomery County Maryland vines invasive vines invasive kudzu

As you know, this invasive plant is a tough one with a massive root system that must be exhausted by repeated cutting and simultaneously killed with a systemic herbicide. Systemic herbicides (in this case glyphosate) must be the correct strength and can be more effective at some times of the year than others.

This can take several seasons or years. The fact that the patch is not well-established will help, but you may want to prepare your client for a campaign, not just one battle.

Here' is our webpage on kudzu. The links are important information. The Weeds Gone Wild (3rd link) also gives you national contacts, which we'd urge you to use to get more detailed help: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/kudzu

Goats penned on an infected site have shown good results.

Ellen

Thanks for the info, Ellen. Yes, I've made sure that my client knows that this will not be a "one and done" trip. Hopefully though, we can get a great jump start into eradication and help save some of the trees that the Kudzu has started climbing. Thanks again.