I need to know my enemy!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.” - Sun Tzu So, I know myself (master gardener trainee with a small gardening business), and I feel like I know what I'm doing (trying to eradicate this woody vine from a client's yard), but I'd really like to know exactly what it is I've been battling. The leaves of this vine are opposite, although it seems a new vine can start growing from in between them. I've observed lengths in excess of 20 feet, and traced this rhizomatous vine back to "homebases" where 4 or more tendrils are deeply rooted. The bark is smooth, and the vine itself is almost rubbery (you can yank and yank but eventually you have to snip it). It grows quite happily through in my client's vinca minor, and will twirl itself up and around hydrangea branches and trees if you turn your back for 5 seconds. Please help! Thank you so much!!!

Oakland County Michigan vines wintercreeper

This appears to be wintercreeper, Euonymus fortunei

https://www.inhs.illinois.edu/research/vmg/wintercreu/

It will take repeated treatments to control, especially when mixed in with desirable plants. When using chemical herbicides, remember to give the chemical time to move to the roots before removing the upper treated parts of the plant- typically 1-2 weeks. And please, always read and follow all precautions. Thanks for using our service.