Buckwheat for dove field to stop barnyard grass in millet

I may have an answer to my barnyard grass problem? I am considering planting a buckwheat dove field in the spring. Buckwheat has a very short growing season so that would allow me to plant a bit later. So I could start 4/1/20 as usual and disc 4/1 & spray 4/15. I would disc again a week later around 4/22 and spray 2 weeks after that. I would repeat the process again in May disking and spraying once more with the goal of trying to deplete the barnyard grass seed bank. I would plant buckwheat for doves around memorial day. Your thoughts and advice on this plan? Questions. 1) I normally do not plow the fields. I only disc. Would plowing help with grass issues. I am told it will not make a significant difference with barnyard grass? 2) I am looking for advice on a planting procedure for buckwheat as a wildlife food plot. My equipment includes Plow, disc, cultipacker, chain harrow, broadcast seeder, 10ft boom sprayer. I can rent a seed drill but I prefer not to unless it will help with barnyard grass. I am told it will not make a significant difference. Can I successfully drag in buckwheat seed into a disked seedbed with a chain harrow? 3) Can I use clethodim 2e to target grass in buckwheat fields? If not is there something I can use? 4) For wildlife specialists - If I have a good stand of buckwheat, how will it work to pull in doves? Feel free to forward this note to others that may have an opinion. Greg Harrison

Owen County Kentucky

Hello. Thank you for your question. Please contact the Owen County Extension Office for assistance. I have included the contact information for the new Extension Agent below.

Kendal Bowman

Extension Agent
Agriculture and Natural Resources
phone: (502) 484-5703
fax: (502) 484-5704