Fungus growth in yard

HELP!! I had a locust tree removed from my front yard in May of 2013 and the stump/roots were ground. Within a few months I had a weeping kwanzan cherry tree planted in roughly the same area. The following spring and every year since, awful looking "things" (fungus?) have been coming up from the ground in the area surrounding that area. I had several landscaping companies look at this 4-5 years ago and they all told me the "things" appearing are the result of decaying roots from the locust tree and that the problem will stop in about a year or two. However, they keep appearing and seem to be more prolific this year than ever before. The "things" look like dried up pieces of old pizza. I have to dig them out and often run into a hard root under them and each time I have to remove them, a hole is left in my yard and until they no longer appear, I can't plant grass in the space. What is causing this and what can I have done to stop it?

Macomb County Michigan

Hello

This is a fungus, from a group of fungi known as “root and butt rots”, and is nature’s way of breaking down wood and roots and recycling them.

It takes years to do this, especially large amounts of roots left behind by large trees. The only way to stop it is to remove as much of the old roots as you can, then fill the space with soil.

You may consider mulching in a circle farther out, so you don’t have to mow the area that has the most fungi. A larger circle around the new tree will actually benefit it, since its roots will not have to compete with grass for water and nutrients. Mulch should be 3-4 inches deep, but no deeper.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. Thanks for using our service

Reference-

https://extension.psu.edu/tree-diseases-that-create-hazards