Strange white soil with mushrooms.

I saw in an old post the topic of strange white pockets of sand/ash substance underneath my soil.

I've found a large area affected in addition to the white sand/ash I found mushrooms generally growing in top.
The white sand/ash covers an area ~ 1m3 at a depth of ~10cm in some areas up to 15cm.

I asked my local nursery who told me to remove all white soil that I could an treat with a fungicide.
Since finding the initial patch I have been finding more an more areas.

Is this fungus spreading an if so is it going to start to kill all my plants ?

Thanks
Kathleen

Outside United States fungi

Thank you for your question. It would be helpful to know your location, and what trees and other woody plants you have there. Most soil fungi produce mushrooms, much like green plants produce flowers. And the fungi growing in the soil are decomposing—breaking down—things like roots which, when fully decomposed, restore nutrients to create more plants. Fungi help the cycle of life going. Those growing above the soil are doing the same thing, and are rarely harmful if not eaten. It is a shame we are directed to kill anything that is unidentified. Just cover the white ‘soil’ and let it do its job. Good luck!

Hi Kristena

I live in Perth on the coast of Western Australia. I inherited this garden from my late avid gardener mother ♥️.

The garden bed is home to a large patch of Aloe vera plants, 1 lemon tree and a few mother-in-laws tongue. I also had 2 dozen bulbs which I removed before spraying the fungicide.
Above the garden bed there's a large Norfolk pine. I was clearing all the pine needles and leaves that had collected on the aloe Vera an the ground. When I noticed the white soil. There was quite a lot of leaf litter on the ground.

Thanks
Kathleen

Kathleen: please do contact this group: http://fungiperth.org.au/ They can be of enormous help!