Safer method of leading a horse Not a question but a view from the experts, please

I have noted many people lead a horse on a halter only, recently I noted a handler trying to lunge a horse on a halter. Leading a horse on a halter outside of confined yard is fraught with danger.
If the animal takes fright and then decides flight you have no hope at all of controlling that horse.
I have seen this happen and I have had it happen to myself. It can and often does lead to injury to the handler.
A halter should only be used when leading in a confined space i.e yard to yard. A halter should also be used to tether a horse on its own or in conjunction with a bridle to avoid damage to the bridle. When I lead a horse in an open area I always use a bridle with a double clip lead. If I have a halter over the top of the bridle, I use two methods. A single clip lead, I thread the lead through the bridle mouthpiece D Ring or the egg yoke ring, then clip on to the halter. If I use a double clip lead, I clip one latch onto the ring of the bridle mouth piece, the second latch is clipped onto the halter. Both methods give far more control over the head. Always, always use gloves when leading a horse, when a horse starts to get away on you and the lead rips through your hand, nasty rope burns can happen. When that happens, goodness knows were the horse will career of to?

Outside United States

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.