Periodically I go through my homemade canned goods. recently in the way back...

Periodically I go through my homemade canned goods. recently in the way back of the shelf I found apple butter from 2014. Is this still good? The color looks fine and the seal is still intact

Delaware County Ohio food safety food preservat

Thank you for your question.It is not uncommon to carry over home canned foods from one year to the next.

The National Center for Home Food Preservation recommends the following:
Properly canned food stored in a cool, dry place will retain optimum eating quality for at least 1 year. Canned food stored in a warm place near hot pipes, a range, a furnace, or in indirect sunlight may lose some of its eating quality in a few weeks or months, depending on the temperature.
I would encourage you to carefully open the jars and discard the apple butter. you can sterilize and reuse the jars. In general, when the current year's harvest is being preserved, the items preserved from last year should be used up.