Insects on Our Willow Oak

Extension Service, Our friend, who is a Master Gardner, advised us to seek help from your organization. Our willow oak tree, that was planted last Oct., recently started having several wasps, a hornet, honeybees and numerous ants on the trunk of the tree. There were several white places that looked like sap may have run out. Usually, the insects are at the places where there is the liquid (sap). I have sprayed the tree trunk with wasp spray, but that did not deter the insects. I read about gall wasps on the internet, but there are no gall ball on the tree, at lease yet. Today, we purchased tree brown wrapping paper and applied it to the tree trunk. Can you advise me why these insects may be on the tree and how to treat the problem. Thank you for your help.

Calvert County Maryland sap willow oak trunk tree

We cannot say for sure what is going on with the tree. You may be dealing with possible insects, slime flux, etc. The insects on the trunk are attracted to the sap.

We would like to see photos of the whole tree, around the base, and the affected areas on the trunk. Please remove the brown wrapping paper from the trunk.

Marian