Red splotches on BEL ball python

My ball python is about 2 months old but I got her almost a week ago (7/17/19). But the day after I got her she has this like dark red splotch show up on her back area, then I went away this weekend and she ended up with many more around her body. I’ve tried looking up what this might be, I can’t tell if it’s bruising, coloring or just dirt. If you have an idea of what it might be please help me out.

Bucks County Pennsylvania ball python ball python diseases and treatment

Thank you for your question. I am not a veterinarian, and don't have any experience with this type of symptom in any snakes I have owned. It could be an indication of a bacterial infection. I recommend you take your snake to an experienced reptile veterinarian and have it examined.

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim

I actually bathed her and just rubbed her down with warm water and a wash cloth and got most of it out so I figure it must have been the substrate I was using which was plantation soil so I switched to aspen shaving and he hasn’t had the color return at all