Red splotches on BEL ball python

My ball python is about 2 months old but I got her almost a week ago (7/17/19). But the day after I got her she has this like dark red splotch show up on her back area, then I went away this weekend and she ended up with many more around her body. I’ve tried looking up what this might be, I can’t tell if it’s bruising, coloring or just dirt. If you have an idea of what it might be please help me out.

Bucks County Pennsylvania

Thank you for your question. I am not a veterinarian, and don't have any experience with this type of symptom in any snakes I have owned. It could be an indication of a bacterial infection. I recommend you take your snake to an experienced reptile veterinarian and have it examined.

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim

I actually bathed her and just rubbed her down with warm water and a wash cloth and got most of it out so I figure it must have been the substrate I was using which was plantation soil so I switched to aspen shaving and he hasn’t had the color return at all