Bee eggs in my birdbath

I placed a planter in the middle of my birdbath . And I have bees laying eggs in the water and in my planter . What? !

Stevens County Washington

Hello, This is not usual for any bee species to lay eggs in that location or manner. Please submit an image here or physical sample to your local Extension office https://extension.wsu.edu/stevens/

eXtension Ask an Expert

Your Question Has a ResponseView in a browserPlease don't reply to this email. Reply from your question page.

Here's the response to your question:

-Todd M.

Need to reply to the expert?

Reply to Expert

Please don't reply to this email. Reply from your question page.Thank you for using Ask an Expert.Find your local Extension institution.

This message for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for personalized professional advice. For specific local information, contact your local county Cooperative Extension office or other qualified professionals. eXtension Foundation does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, professional, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned. Reliance on any information provided by eXtension Foundation, employees, suppliers, member universities, or other third parties through eXtension is solely at the user's own risk. All eXtension content and communication is subject to the Terms of Use which may be revised at any time.

View in a browser
I refreshed the water in my birdbath this morning. It is the second or third time that it has happened in the last week. So when it happens again, and I'm sure that it will oh, I will get the picture and forward it to you.
Thank you for responding so quickly.
A second and third question I have is as follows.

If he thinks are left alone, will they be hatching? I believe these are washed eggs because we have a population of wasps around.

Do birds eat these bee egg are they beneficial in any way to leave them in the bird bath water?

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019, 11:01 AM <aae-notify@extension.org> wrote:

eXtension Ask an Expert

Here's the response to your question:

-Todd M.

Need to reply to the expert?

Reply to Expert

View in a browser

I have refreshed the water in my bird feeder three times in the last week and they keep laying your eggs in there. I am sure that I will get another opportunity to take a photo and send it off to you.
I have a couple more questions however
Do birds eat these eggs the bees lay in the waters?
Do they hatch from the water?

I don't believe birds would eat the eggs. If they are bee eggs, I don't believe they would hatch. Insect eggs need to be specialized to be adapted to water. I do not know of any bee species that is adapted to aquatic environments.

So why do the bees lay their eggs in the water if they're not going to hatch and the birds are going to eat them. What's the purpose of it what are they thinking why are they doing this?

I can't say for sure until seeing a specimen of what could be happening.